[Skip to content]


 0118 908 8233


Search our Site


Many children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities will also have health needs. There are many different organisations which provide health care to CYP in Wokingham. 

The Local Authority has a duty to ensure that joint commissioning includes health provision for children and young people with SEND. 

You may have regular appointments with a paediatrician who focusses on your child’s health issues generally or you may be referred to specialists, either at our local hospital, The Royal Berkshire Hospital, or to tertiary specialist centres. You may also be referred for support from therapists or our local CAMHS Service.

If you have any concerns about your child, you should always contact your GP in the first instance. They will usually be able to discuss your concerns and refer you to more specialist support if necessary.

If your child needs support from a paediatrician for their health needs you will most likely be referred to The Royal Berkshire Hospital. 

If your child has developmental issues they are likely to be referred to the Dingley Child Development Centre.

If you or your school have concerns that your child may need the support from speech and language therapy, occupational therapy or physiotherapy then support is available from CYPIT (Children and Young People’s Integrated Therapies). There is a lot of useful information on their website, including advice on how to support your child and when a referral should be made. 

If your child has a long term illness or medical condition there is guidance on how to support them to be able to access education: Supporting pupils with medical conditions at school. Health professionals can work with the school to advise them on the right support your child and help to prepare an Individual Healthcare Plan for those children with more complex needs.

If your child is of compulsory school age and is unable to attend school due to illness, the local authority has a responsibility to ensure they are still able to access an education. In Wokingham Foundry College are commissioned to provide tutoring to those who are unable to attend school. You would need to have medical evidence that your child is currently medically unfit for school. The local authority and medical professionals should work closely together to ensure the education provided is appropriate for the child's condition and plan the return to school carefully, along with parents and the school.

If your young person has a learning disability and are over the age of 14, your GP should offer them an annual health check. This will help the GP to spot any health problems early and is also a chance to review any long-term conditions. Make sure your child is on the GP's learning disability register so that they receive their health check. You can find out more information on the NHS website.

There is a lot more information on the health pages of the local offer: