Last updated:

13th September 2023

Health and wellbeing

If you are worried about your health you should always speak to your GP. They will be able to discuss your concerns and refer you to more specialist help if you need it.

Long term medical conditions

  • If you have a long term medical condition your school should support you so that you can still access learning. This might mean they support you to take medication or that they help you to catch up if you have missed lessons.
  • If you cannot attend school at all for a long time because of illness there is extra support available. Foundry College can provide tutors to pupils up to year 11 who can’t attend school.

GP Health Checks 

If you have a learning disability and are over the age of 14, your GP should offer you an annual health check. This will help you and your GP to spot any health problems early. If you aren’t offered this health check, contact your GP surgery to make sure you are on their learning disability register.

Mental health:

We all need a bit of help sometimes. But it can be difficult to know how - or who - to ask. It may be difficult to talk about your feelings. When you’re feeling down, it’s important that you are not struggling on your own. There is help and support available – you just have to reach out to get it.

The #littlebluebookofsunshine explains some of the things you can do right now to feel better, or who to turn to if things feel too much.

In a crisis or an emergency

If you have urgent concerns about a mental health problem, use the NHS 111 online service at or call 111

If you’ve injured yourself, taken an overdose or are in an emergency and believe that your life is at risk, please dial 999 or go to the nearest emergency department.

Call 0300 365 0300 if you have urgent concerns about a mental health problem. Call 999 if you are worried about your immediate safety, or go straight to the nearest Emergency Department.