Last updated:

18th July 2023

Home schooling

Home education

Most children will be educated within a school but some parents choose to educate their child at home. This is called Elective Home Education. Parents must ensure that their child receives a full-time education, suitable to his/her age, ability and aptitude.

What do parents need to do?

  • You do not need to be a qualified teacher to home educate your child, nor do you need to employ tutors (although you can if you wish).
  • You do not have to follow a particular timetable or fixed hours.
  • You do not need to teach the National Curriculum  or to formally mark work or assess progress, although it would be a good idea to keep examples of work or a diary of work completed, or educational visits so that you can demonstrate that you are providing a suitable education.
  • If you choose to home educate your child the Local Authority have no duty to provide any financial support. This means that parents would be responsible for e.g. the entrance fees for external examinations.
  • If your child does not have an EHCP you will need to give written notice to the Headteacher so that their name is removed from the school admissions register.

Support for home education

There are many sources of support for home educators. Here are a few:

You should never feel pressured into home educating your child because they are not coping at school. Contact us for advice if this is the case. 

What if my child has an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan)?

If your child has an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) you can still give written notice that you wish to home educate your child. 

If your child is attending a special school the Local Authority must give permission for the child’s name to be removed from the admissions register. The plan should also be amended to reflect that they are now being educated at home. In this case, they may specify a type of school or college that would be suitable in Section I but would also specify that the parent is making ‘suitable alternative arrangements’. 

At this point the Local Authority would be relieved of its duty to secure the special educational provision specified within the plan, including any therapies the child may require.  

If you are considering home educating your child because they are not coping in school then contact us for further advice. See also Education otherwise than at school/college. 

Education otherwise than in a school or other institution

For a very small number of children with EHCPs (Education Health and Care Plans) it may be necessary for the child to be educated somewhere other than at school.  The Local Authority may arrange for any special educational provision to be provided elsewhere. They must consult with the child’s parents or with the young person.

What does the Local Authority need to do?

The Local Authority has no powers to enter the home of a home educating family, but have a duty to ensure that a suitable education is being provided. 

More Details
Read the home education page on the Wokingham Borough Council website for more details.