12th September 2023
Appealing to tribunal
Your right to appeal
You have the right to appeal to SENDIST (Special Educational Needs and Disability First-tier Tribunal.)
How long do I have to appeal?
Appeals must be registered within 2 months of the date of the decision letter, or within 30 days of the issue of a mediation certificate, whichever is the later.
Which decisions can be appealed?
There is a right to appeal the following decisions at tribunal:
- Refusal to carry out an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment
- Refusal to issue an EHC Plan following an assessment
- Refusal to re-assess
- Refusal to amend an EHC plan following a review or re-assessment
- To cease to maintain an EHC Plan
If a plan is issued you can appeal the following contents:
- The child or young person’s special educational needs (Section B)
- The child or young person’s special educational provision (Section F)
- The school or other institution named in Section I
- If no school or other institution is named in Section I