Last updated:

12th July 2023

Who needs an Education, Health and Care Plan?

If a child or young person needs more support than that which can reasonably be provided by a mainstream school then they may need an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan). An EHC Needs Assessment would be undertaken to decide if an EHCP is needed.

Not everyone with SEN (Special Educational Needs) needs an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan). Many children and young people are successfully supported within school without an EHCP. Read our struggling at school / college page for details.

 A diagnosis does not entitle you to an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan), but it is possible to have an EHCP without a diagnosis. It is all about the impact of your child’s difficulties, not the cause.