When you return your draft plan you will also be asked which school you would like your child to attend. You can request any of the following:
- Maintained nursery school or maintained school
- Academy or free school
- Non-maintained special school
- Further education or 6th form college
- An institution approved under section 41
In many cases your child will be able to continue in their local mainstream school. You have a strong right to mainstream education if that is what you wish, unless that is incompatible with the provision of the efficient education of others. But the Local Authority must be able to demonstrate that there are no reasonable steps that it, or the school could take to prevent that incompatibility.
Section 41 includes some independent special schools, but many independents are not on this list. You can still make representations for these, but the law is slightly different.
The local authority must agree with your request unless:
- It would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or SEN of the child or young person, or
- The attendance of the child or young person there would be incompatible with the efficient education of others, or the efficient use of resources
Code of practice 9.79